Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Moving Up the SAMR Ladder


Taking a lesson a moving it up the SAMR ladder was definitely NOT easy. As I began looking at my math lesson, I really had to go back and study what each part of the SAMR Model really meant. This told me that I really didn't understand SAMR deeply enough. Allow me to explain my lesson first. Then I'll fill you in on how I changed it and made it better. The lesson I used was the following: 

I can represent a number with different groupings of base ten blocks to show my understanding of place value.

Materials: Base 10 blocks, Conservation of Numbers WS assessment
Lesson: Intro new materials: base ten blocks. Relate value of blocks to strips of stickers and single stickers. On board, draw 10 lines (to represent 10s) and 5 rows of circles to represent singles. Write 34 on board. Have students use their place value blocks to model one way to show it. Then ask for a volunteer to come circle on the board one way someone made it. Repeat to show 2 other ways. Then distribute one “Show ____ Three Different Ways” WS to each student. Pairs will work together on the same number, but record on their own paper. SW create the given number with base ten blocks and will record each way by circling the amount on their paper and recording the number of tens and ones at the bottom. Students who finish early may do another number. When all partners have completed their three ways pass out Conservation of Numbers assessment. 

Substitution - Technology acts as direct tool substitute with no functional improvement.
Students use the Number Pieces App instead of using base ten blocks. 

Augmentation - Technology acts as direct tool substitute with functional improvement.
Students use the Number Pieces App to create a number 3 different ways and share with peers by posting to Padlet. 

Modification - Technology allows for significant task redesign.
Students work in groups to use Number Pieces or another app of choice to show a number 3 different ways. Students share their work with peers via Padlet, Google Drive or class blog. 

Redefinition - Technology allows for the creation of new tasks that were previously inconceivable.
Students work in groups to show a number 3 different ways using an app of choice. Students then collaborate to upload products to educreations, screen chomp or shadow puppet to explain their thinking. Then groups post their final product on Padlet, Google Drive or class blog. 

I'm still not really sure if I'm doing this right. My level of understanding is still fragile. If you have any blogs, articles or books pertaining to SAMR, please share in the comments below. 

Thanks for reading!
-Ashley 



1 comment:

  1. I think the trick with SAMR is to just be aware of it so we can be sure that all our activities are not merely substitution. There's not just one right answer for any particular lesson. We'll be talking more about SAMR and lesson design in the Designing Work class in July!

    ReplyDelete