Monday, July 6, 2015

New Book for a New Month



Thanks to the amazing people in my building and in our district, I have become a huge Simon Sinek fan. He tells us how to love what we do and how to lead with a purpose. Today I went to Barnes & Noble and I was looking for a book to help me grow as a friend, colleague and professional. I passed by the Jon Gordon books. Don't get me wrong. I love Jon Gordon, but I wanted something that would push me even further. Then I came across, "Leaders Eat Last," by Simon Sinek. I remember learning about Simon Sinek on one of our professional development days a few years ago. We learned about starting with the "why" and going from there when designing lessons. Even in life, it is imperative that we constantly remind ourselves why we do what we do. If not, then our work and day to day life becomes meaningless and mundane. I'm excited to read this book because I want to be a better leader. Before I started my internship in GCISD, I was totally unaware of the actual responsibilities required of a teacher. Teachers are not baby-sitters. Teachers are so much more. Teachers are leaders in their schools. They lead children to become more responsible and compassionate citizens. Little did I know, when I signed up to be a teacher that I was signing up to be a leader in my school and community. For a shy, introverted teacher like myself, that has become difficult for me. Speaking my mind and standing up for what I believe in has never been an easy thing for me to do. I am a calm observer and a listener. But when it comes down to children and their needs, I rise above my insecurities and lay it all out on the table. Kids always come first in my book. In reading this book, I am hoping to gain some insight on how to be a better leader for my students, parents and my school. We all have things we want to improve both professionally and personally. This is my way of continuing on a path of growth and improvement! Wish me luck. :)

-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment